You are here: Flood Assistance Information

Flood Assistance Information

Law Enforcement in St Joseph County

  • As a reminder do not to drive on water covered roads or around barricades. This is for your safety and to reduce the risk of damaging the road below.
  • Sandbags are still available at the St. Joseph County Sheriff's Office. (269) 467-9045

Local United Way Coordinating Efforts to Assist Flood Victims

Effective immediately, a fund has been set up at St Joseph County United Way for those who want to help the disaster relief efforts caused by the recent flooding in St. Joseph County. "Some people have not been affected and want to help, but may not be able to help physically so an option of helping financially is available," said Kelly Hostetler, executive director of St. Joseph County United Way. Checks can be made out to United Way, designated to flood clean up. 100% of these funds will be available to help with cleanup efforts. Volunteer opportunities will be available within the coming week and more information will be sent out as water recedes. For more information on donating, you can contact Kelly Hostetler at (269) 467-9099.

Red Cross

For local Shelters contact the Red Cross (269) 353-6180.

Indiana Michigan Power (AEP)

Reminds customers and the public to exercise extreme caution. In the event waters rise around your home or business:

  • Do not go into any room or basement if water is covering appliance cords that are plugged in or if water has reached the wall outlets.
  • Don't enter a room if you hear popping or buzzing, or if you see sparks.
  • Never go into a basement with standing water in it unless you are sure the electricity is off.
  • If water rises to your electric meter base, or rises to wall outlets, call I&M to have your power disconnected. In Michigan, call 800-311-6424. Our customer care experts will also give you information about reconnecting.


Will provide additional help with food vouchers. Its Stone Cottage Free Store is as well available to the flooding victims. 320 N Main, Three Rivers- Corner of Bennett and West streets. (269) 244-4599

The Verse by Verse Church

Has opened a free store open for those in need from flood damage. This service is now available by appointment only. Call the church (269) 273-5708 to schedule a time to come in.They are located in the old Village Market on Enterprise drive by the movie theater and Big King Buffet.


SER (State Emergency Relief) available. Apply online at

The Salvation Army

Can provide clean-up kits for flood victims, clothing vouchers, household items (tables, chairs, and couches, if available), and food. Salvation Army can also help pay for damaged household items such as a furnace or water heater as long as it is $1,000 or less (anything over $1,000, we will need approval from Divisional Headquarters). Proof of address is required, such as a photo ID or mail with current address. Will also need proof that the client or family is a flood victim. The Salvation Army is located at 105 N. Fourth St., Sturgis, MI 49091. By appointment only, (269) 651-4275.

Branch-Hillsdale-St. Joseph Community Health Agency (Your Local Health Department)

Provides technical assistance for homeowners whose home or drinking water well and/or on-site sewage system have been flooded. Technical assistance includes methods and recommendations for drinking water well disinfection and flood water clean-up best practices to protect home occupants. Resources are available on our website or in person at our office at 1110 Hill St., Three Rivers or by phone at 269-273-2161 ext. 0233# with our Environmental Health staff.